Connection-Free Road Trip Apps
No Connection Necessary: 5 Apps That Don’t Require the Internet
Bad service? No Internet connection? No problem! These apps don’t require users to be connected to a network, which makes them fuss-free and kid-friendly, not to mention perfect for traveling. Get your devices ready before you hit the road and enjoy!
- YouTube Red: Good for all ages, this app offers a free trial so you don’t have to commit to it unless you like it. That means you can use it for free during your trip, then subscribe (or not!) once you’ve had a chance to try it.
- Netflix app: Again, suitable for all ages and because most of us already have Netflix, there’s no additional fee for the app. Downloading shows and movies means no streaming, which means no buffering and no disconnecting during your travels.
- Stack the States: My young children love this game, and I don’t even think they realize it’s educational! For a minimal fee, they learn US geography and are awarded “prizes” for correct answers. It’s colorful and fun and they’re learning as they play—everyone wins!
- Subway Surfer: Geared toward kids ages 10 and up, this app is high-interest because it’s high-energy. Compatible with most any device, it’s also free of the violence other apps of this genre tend to include.
- Endless Learning Academy: Though similar to Stack the States in that it’s jam-packed with educational fun, the Endless Learning Academy app spans the grade levels more extensively. Whether your child is learning his ABC’s or practicing a foreign language, he’ll learn through games with this app.
Whether by plane, train, or automobile, these apps are always a hit with travelers for the mere fact that they don’t require a reliable Internet connection.